Many of these products are cheap to buy and are readily available, along with advice, from pharmacies. Some self-care medicines are available in shops and supermarkets. Please click here for further information and a patient leaflet
- Tablets 60mg (£1.08 = 20 tablets)
- ElixirSF 30mg in 5ml (£1.50 = 100ml)
- 60mg 3–4 times daily
- Child 6–12 years 30mg 3–4 times daily
- Pseudoephedrine is available to be purchased over the counter.
- Systemic nasal decongestants are of doubtful value but unlike the preparations for local application they do not give rise to rebound nasal congestion.
- Sympathomimetics should be avoided in patients with hypertension, hyperthyroidism, coronary heart disease, or diabetes, and in patients taking monoamine-oxidase inhibitors
3. Respiratory >
3.10 Systemic nasal decongestants
- First line
- Second line