This page was printed from the South & West Devon Formulary and Referral site at
Please ensure you are using the current version of this document
This information provides guidance on the management of gynaecology patients across South Devon & Torbay during the COVID-19 pandemic. The information is based on National Guidance from The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
1. Ovarian cancer (include Ca125): Physical examination identifies ascites and/or a pelvic or abdominal mass (not obviously fibroids)
2. Endometrial cancer: Refer patients aged 55 and over with post-menopausal bleeding (unexplained vaginal bleeding more than 12 months after menstruation has stopped because of the menopause)
3. Cervical cancer: When the appearance on cervical examination is consistent with cervical cancer
4. Vulval cancer: Unexplained vulval lump, ulceration or bleeding
5. Vaginal cancer: unexplained palpable mass in or at the entrance of the vagina
A recent full blood count would be useful for all 2WW referrals
We are continuing to book all urgent referrals during the COVID-19 pandemic including 2WW referrals, early pregnancy unit (EPU), emergency gynaecology unit (EGU), Hysteroscopy, Colposcopy and post menopausal bleeding (PMB).
All new routine referrals will be clinically triaged and will either be added to a waiting list or, if appropriate, A&G will be given.
Please ensure that a practice-based system is in place to check daily for returning referrals with A&G.
Prior to making a routine referral, please ensure that any appropriate Policy or CRG has been reviewed and that all the suggested investigations and management options have been considered.
Existing new and follow-up routine appointments have been cancelled and changed to telephone / video consultation where appropriate. A programme of review of these to triage with recommencement of face-to-face clinics and telephone / video clinics has begun
Please contact switchboard to speak to the on-call gynaecology consultant, SpR or SHO as required: 01803 614567
Advice & Guidance services remain at normal function.
Please contact switchboard: 01803 614567, to speak to the on-call gynaecology consultant, SpR or SHO as required.
This guideline has been signed off on behalf of the NHS Devon Clinical Commissioning GroupLast updated: 19-05-2020