Many of these products are cheap to buy and are readily available, along with advice, from pharmacies. Some self-care medicines are available in shops and supermarkets. Please click here for further information and a patient leaflet
Macrogol oral powder, compound
- CosmoCol® oral powder, sachets (un-flavoured, orange, orange lemon & lime) (£7.37 = one twice a day)
- CosmoCol® Paediatric sachets (£2.79 = one twice daily)
- CosmoCol® Half sachets (£2.79 = one twice daily)
- Laxido® orange oral powder, sachets (£7.97 = one twice daily)
- Movicol® – Half sachets (£9.45 = one twice daily)
- Movicol® Paediatric sachets (£8.18 = one twice daily)
- Chronic constipation, adult and child over 12 years, 1–3 sachets daily in divided doses usually for up to 2 weeks; maintenance, 1–2 sachets daily
- Faecal impaction, adult and child over 12 years, 4 sachets on first day, then increased in steps of 2 sachets daily to maximum 8 sachets daily
- Macrogol preparations should be reserved only for patients where other treatments have been ineffective.
- Caution: may cause electrolyte disturbances. There is currently insufficient evidence to support its routine use before well-established, less expensive drugs.
- Due to the different preparations of macrogol '3350' we recommend that the products are prescribed by brand to avoid any confusion.
- Initially 15ml twice daily, adjusted according to response
- Lactulose takes up to 48 hours to work but is often inappropriately used "when required". It is unpleasant to take and compliance may be a problem. Its main clinical benefit is in the management of hepatic encephalopathy.
- Micro-enema 450mg/5ml (£0.43 = 5ml enema)
- Enema 128ml (£3.98 per enema)
- Cautions elderly and debilitated; with enema, electrolyte disturbances, congestive heart failure, ascites, uncontrolled hypertension, maintain adequate hydration
- Contra-indications acute gastro-intestinal conditions (including gastro-intestinal obstruction, inflammatory bowel disease, and conditions associated with increased colonic absorption)
- Conditions pre-disposing the patient to retention of the enema can make the use of the product hazardous
- Suspension (£3.22 = 200ml)
1. Gastrointestinal >
1.6 Laxatives >
1.6.4 Osmotic laxatives
- First line
- Second line