This guidance covers the referral of a patient who presents with symptoms suggestive of breast cancer to a team specialising in the management of breast cancer.
GPs can refer a patient they suspect of having cancer to be seen within 14 days by a specialist. GPs must send the referral within 24 hours of the decision to refer.
Please use the referral forms listed on this page to ensure appropriateness. They have been agreed by the Peninsula Cancer Network.
Investigations in patients presenting with symptoms and/or signs suggestive of breast cancer, investigation prior to referral is not recommended.
- convey optimism about the effectiveness of breast cancer treatments and survival of breast cancer patients
- discuss the information and support needs of your patient and respond sensitively
- encourage all patients, including women over 50 years old, to be breast aware
Always take the patient's history into account. For example, it may be appropriate, in discussion with a specialist, to agree referral within a few days in a patient who reports a lump or other symptom that has been present for several months.
Suspected Cancer referral
- Aged 30 and over with an unexplained breast lump with or without pain
- Aged 50 and over with any of the following symptoms in one nipple only
- Discharge (spontaneous clear or bloody)
- Retraction (new onset and distortion ???)
- Skin changes of concern (e.g. males over 50 with unilateral firm subareolar mass with or without nipple distortion or skin changes
Consider Suspected Cancer referral
- Aged over 30 with unexplained lump in the axilla and have skin changes that suggest breast cancer
A non-urgent referral should be considered in:
- Aged under 30 with an unexplained breast lump with or without pain
- Women aged younger than 30 years with a lump
- Patients with breast pain and no palpable abnormality, when initial treatment fails and/or with unexplained persistent symptoms. (Use of mammography in these patients is not recommended)
The GP should use e-Referral Service to send referral
Please ensure you include:
- The patient's NHS number
- Tell the patient that this is an urgent referral and they will be seen within 14 days
- Specialty: Surgery – 2WW
- Clinic type: 2WW Breast
- Service: DRSS-Western-2WW Breast - Devon CCG-15N
Suspected Breast Cancer referral form - No merge fields
Suspected Breast Cancer referral form - Emis WEB
Suspected Breast Cancer referral form - Microtest
Suspected Breast cancer referral form - Systmone with Problems Merge field
Suspected Breast cancer referral form - Systmone with Summary Merge field
Western locality >
2 week wait >
- First line
- Second line